I'm a democrat. I'm registered as a democrat. I'm planning on voting for Obama for the current election. That being said.. why am I voting for him? Good question, I have no idea. Yes, it's alarming, the government has allowed naive people like myself to vote in the election. We're eighteen, legal adults, so what? How many eighteen year olds have a genuine interest in the election? Not a lot. I can't tell you the number of people I talk to who either don't know there is an election coming up, aren't registered to vote, don't know who is running for president or cannot tell you a single issue whoever they are "voting" for supports.
I've kind of always just identified myself with the democratic party although I'm not entirely sure why. Partly because that's what my parents believe, sure? But not really. Can you feel a certain draw to a party, issues aside? Is it right to vote for one candidate just because you don't agree with the other? I guess. I feel sometimes like I just decided I was a democrat and I saw Obama was the chosen candidate so I decided to vote for him. I guess for a while I just thought all of his plans were great and everything McCain said was horrible and wrong. Perhaps I just glossed over the idea and didn't stop to really think about why I chose Obama. I just assumed I agreed with everything Obama said because of his title as "democratic presidential candidate."
Of course, I've done my homework now. I read CNN on a semi-regular basis.. although, I do have to say it's honestly because I mostly just enjoy reading headlines like "Local Mom Finds Giraffe in Toaster with Biblical Symbol Grilled On." No really, I do read the news online; occasionally I'll glance at a newspaper or Time magazine if I have the chance. I can tell you basic points of each of the candidates. I've watched parts of the debates as well as the vice presidential debate (which so did not deserve the title.. "debate" but that's another topic for another time). I'm currently working on a paper about the democratic environmental plan so I can tell you about the cap-and-trade program Obama wants to implement. I support his efforts with the G8+5 summit to bring developing and developed countries together as well as his plan to phase out 125 year old incandescent light bulbs and his efforts to enforce standards to prevent mercury pollution, air pollution and other things harmful to people and the environment. I like the fact that he makes plans for 2060 but then has target goals along the way since he cannot possibly be president until that time.
Okay, so maybe I do have an idea why I'm voting for Obama. But do you know why you're voting for the candidate of your choice? Regardless of political party, let's try and pick a president who will actually run the country, help our current environment predicament and hopefully stimulate some kind of economic growth so that I do not have to live in a cardboard box in 4 years.. Oh yeah, and while we're at it.. let's go for a president who can pronounce "nuclear" :)
1 comment:
hey now em! no making fun of the southern accent, haha! you're cute. good thoughts though. it is definitely important to be informed. i should be getting my absentee ballot any day now. yippee, haha! it is my first presidential election i can vote in too :)
Post a Comment