Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Life in a Nutshell

Well, classes are officially over!

My last class ended at 4 on Friday and now all I have to do is write an essay by next Friday and go in for a final tomorrow morning at 11. Hooray! This break is much needed. We've all been joking that it feels like we're getting senioritis all over again with the end of the quarter. Luckily I managed to plan far enough in advance that I only had a few touch ups to make on a couple projects last week.

As for life outside of classes..

Work
I've been working A LOT. My first official day of work was Tuesday morning from 8:30 until 11:30 and I've worked everyday since with the exception of today. I think i'm working Monday-Thursday too from 8:30 until 4:30. It's nice because I don't have any finals really so I can get a lot of hours in. I'm actually finding the work to be rather fun even though it's super monotonious. There's something about it that's kind of relaxing because I don't really have to think while doing it. It's a lot of stuffing envelopes, putting address labels on and typing names and other information into the computer.

Friends
Today a group of us drove into downtown Rochester to meet up with our drawing professor at Spot Coffee. It was really funny because there were 10 of us and we all sat in huge comfy chairs around a table, drank coffee and listened to Cliff tell stories.. I felt like we were in kindergarden during story time.

I think this afternoon is pretty open with the exception of writing my paper. I think there was loose talk of going mini-golfing? but it's kind of wet and nasty out. Last night Ash, Drake and I went to the library and checked out 7 movies... they have a 3 day return policy so we'll be watching a lot of those before Tuesday =) This week is just going to be a lot of hanging out, relaxing and working. I think a group of us rambunctious art kids are going to hang out on Wednesday or so before we all leave for break.

Volunteering
Yesterday Ashley and I went downtown to volunteer at a place called foodlink. It's a food distribution center that takes in 8 million pounds of food a year from local grocery stores and such and then distributes it to local food banks and homeless shelters. Aside from the brief panic since we had absolutely no idea where we were, things turned out just fine. It was basically us two and about 15 frat guys (who are forced to do community service) sorting and boxing huge stacks of food. The guy in charge seems really nice and we talked to him about coming back in early December.

News
Remember that Peanut butter and jelly thing that I volunteered for a while ago? Well, it made the local Rochester News... here's a clip from it.. you can actually see me for parts of it (well, sort of) I'm cut off the screen wearing a blue plaid shirt when they're interviewing the guy.

PB JAM

I'm getting pretty horrible at updating. Oops.
I'll have some pictures and such later tonight when I get around to uploading them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PB & J project. Fantastic. Properly recognized. Peanut Butter and ANYTHING. Good for you.........Nana

Anonymous said...

How did you find out about about Foodlink? Good for you and Ashley. Food bank here getting busier & busier. I'm in several projects here getting donations. And, what had these frat guys done that required them to do community service? Somehow I can guess!
It's a super great idea. Spot Coffee trip good. Isn't it great to have a bit more breathing time? Enjoy. Hugs, Nana