Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Figuring things out: Life outside of Graphic Design

Clearly this is the year of figuring out what I’m going to be doing after college. As seen in my frequent posts lately on design lectures and week one. I can’t even begin to count the number of times I’ve been asked what my plans are.. Come back and ask in say.. May? Might have a better idea then.

I came in 100% sure that I wanted to be a graphic design major. No doubt about it.

As I’ve progressed through college, I’ve started learning about new areas of work that I could potentially pursue and they started tugging on my once definite career decision. One of those being social media & higher ed - which I found by working at none other than the RIT Admissions office! Go figure.

I fell in love with Twitter and came to see it as more than just a platform for talking about my peanut butter and jelly sandwich but rather a place that has definite results & impact on companies and organizations.

This summer I interned at a place in downtown Rochester called We Make Nice Websites where I got to help out with a bit of social media consulting. I liked explaining Twitter & sharing my love for it... Oh hey there new potential career path.

But then I see information graphics and oh goodness.. they’re beautiful.

In my Digital Entrepreneurship class we had a speaker (RIT Grad) come in and talk about his line of work and how he’s become so successful in business. One of his major points was that if you’re not excited and bounding out of bed in the morning to work on something new, you’re in the wrong major (or career). Point taken.

So here I sit with all of these lovely new things vying for my attention, I prefer to simply think of them as “options.”

(taken from a recent post at RIT Admissions)

No comments: