Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

I really just don't know

So really, I have no idea what I want to do.

I get that question on tours all the time and I always just tell people that I have two more years to figure it out. I DON'T KNOW!

This uncertainty has created much havoc when it comes to picking a minor.

I started off a long time ago thinking about going into art therapy. But that requires grad school and it's not a very big field. So psychology as a minor would have made sense. Yes?

Then I thought maybe I wanted to work in a field that incorporated graphic design and social work. Weird combination? Maybe. But there are jobs out there that use both skills. So psychology could have worked for that too.

Then I took typography and I immediately went into thinking that I wanted to work in a hardcore graphic design studio. You know, the typical kind with clients, projects, critiques.. the whole shebang. Advertising and Public Relations would have been good for that.

Maybe blogging? Probably couldn't make a career with that unless I woke up in the middle of the night and had some miracle happen that turned me into a great writer. Perhaps a journalism minor would aid that direction?

This is making me feel even more uncertain typing all of this out!

I decided after taking a journalism class that is not the direction for me. It messes with my writing style (not that I really have one, but that sounds like a good excuse doesn't it?).

I decided after a public relations class that is not the direction for me. It's too news oriented and again the writing style is not fantastic. Too many rules and commas to remember. Plus, coming up with a goal and a purpose for everything? Yeah, totally not necessary.

Then I found a class called diversity in the city... which is basically like sociology about urban environments and what not. Intriguing because of an internship I found working in an urban environment using graphic design and helping with poverty issues. Plus the refugee family. So, I signed up for a sociology class.

We'll see how this goes.

I think it helps that I was looking at designs today and it just made me in the mood to go out and design something. So, good news I'm in the right major.

Now I just need a direction.

Oh goodness, finding a job is going to be quite the task.

1 comment:

Nana said...

Interested in "Diversity in the City" Sounds good -
keep me posted.